YouCam Makeup forecasts Millennial and Gen Z lip color and texture preferences based on big data from user virtual try-on analysis.
NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Perfect Corp., the beauty tech solutions provider behind the world’s leading virtual beauty try-on app, YouCam Makeup announces its 2020 Global Color Trend Report today. The report spotlights lip color and texture preferences and forecasts the trends that will define 2020 for Millennials and Gen Z users– two age groups that hold enormous influence and spending power. The report’s findings will help cosmetics brands to better understand consumer preferences and win over the hearts and minds of these young, influential, and digital-savvy customers.
The report analyzes the user try-on data of over 611,000 Millennials and Gen Z users of the YouCam Makeup app across top six top markets including the United States, China, France, Japan, Brazil and India to reveal distinctive lip color and texture preferences and how they vary across age group and location. The study revealed striking similarities with global lip color trends that held true across all age groups and countries, as well as glaring differences with colors and texture preferences specific to a certain generation or country. These valuable global lip color and texture predictions will help brands and retailers best serve Millennial and Gen Z beauty shoppers in the upcoming year. These forecasts will help brands create a more strategic and tailored marketing strategy with product offerings that speak to the specific consumer needs for the beauty shoppers.
Here are our key findings:
- Pink will remain the most popular lip color across all countries and age groups throughout 2020. In 2019, pink lip colors were most popular across all countries and age groups.
- Cranberry Pink shade is the favorite among Millennials and Gen Z users across all countries.
- US: Red lip color tryouts have been on the upward trajectory among US Millennial and Gen Z users and the trend is worth keeping an eye on in 2020. Both age groups preferred pink and nude lip shades in 2019.
- China: Chinese Gen Z and Millennial users love dual tone lip color more than any other country and this trend is likely to continue throughout 2020. Both age groups have showed an increased interest in red lip color tryouts and we foresee this trend will continue in 2020. In 2019, Chinese Millennial and Gen Z users preferred orange shades more than other locales.
- France: In 2020, French Millennials and Gen Z users would favor pink, nude, and red lip shades the most. French Gen Z users have showed interest in dual lipstick shades, which could become a trend in 2020. In 2019, French Millennials showed a preference for purple lip shades. In contrast, French Gen Z users showed a preference for red lip colors more than any other country.
- Japan: Gen Z and Millennial users love dual tone and the trend is likely to continue in 2020. Both age groups demonstrate an increased interest in brown lip color shades, a trend worth monitoring in 2020.
- Brazil: In 2020, we expect the preference for pink lip shades to strengthen in Brazil among both Millennials and Gen Z users. Gen Z users are also showing an interest to experiment more and more with orange shades. In 2019, Brazilian Millennials preferred pink lip shades more than other countries, accounting for 60% of tryouts. Brazilian Gen Z users preferred purple lip shades the most of all countries.
- India: Indian Millennial and Gen Z users showed a strong preference for pink lip colors in 2019, and are forecasted to demonstrate the same preference throughout 2020.
- Matte texture is most preferred for Millennial and Gen Z users in all countries apart from Japan, who preferred sheer texture.
- US Millennial and Gen Z users are more likely to experiment with their lipstick textures, trying metallic and holographic styles more than any other country.
- French Millennial and Gen Z users prefer sheer and satin textures.
“With over 800 million global YouCam app downloads, Perfect Corp. continues to track global beauty trends and try-on behavior to help brands and retailers best serve the beauty-loving community,” shares Perfect Corp. founder and CEO, Alice Chang. “With extensive beauty try-on data comes the knowledge to identify specific preferences and how they differ across age groups and locations. This data helps to identify the specific products, colors, and preferences that the modern-day consumer craves, and helps brands deliver the most personalized beauty shopping experience possible.”
View the complete research findings from the 2020 Global Color Trend Report for free.
Brand partners can subscribe to receive future editions of Perfect Corp.’s Global Color Trend Report free and stay up-to-date on the latest beauty color trends
About Perfect Corp.
With over 800 Million downloads globally, Perfect Corporation is dedicated to transforming how consumers, content creators and beauty brands interact together through AI and AR technologies. Our experienced team of engineers and beauty aficionados are pushing the frontiers of technology to create the beauty platform of the future – a fluid environment where individuals express themselves, learn the latest about fashion and beauty, and enjoy instant access to the products from their favorite brands. Further information about Perfect Corp. can be found at perfectcorp.com
All companies and product names mentioned herein are for identification purposes only and are the sole property of their respective owners. Copyright © 2019 Perfect Corp. All rights reserved.
Corporate: Peggy Chiang at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at: +886-2-8667-1265, ext. 2300
USA: Lindsay Colameo at email@example.com or by phone at +1 (212) 929-7979
Japan: Ryusho Hosaka at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at: +81-3-5875-6651
China: Celine Lo at email@example.com or by phone: + 86 1582 112 8182
Europe: Sylvain Delteil at firstname.lastname@example.org